Our Current Projects
Note: We are not taking on any additional cemeteries at this time. We expect to be working in Selma over the next 3 to 5 years. Check back often for updates.
Live Oak Cemetery
Established 1829 & expanded in 1877
Live Oak Cemetery was founded in 1829 as West Selma Graveyard (later Magnolia Cemetery). When additional acreage was purchased in 1877, the name was changed to Live Oak Cemetery. Many early settlers, Selma leaders and prominent Alabamians are buried in Live Oak, including the only U.S. vice president from our state, William Rufus King.
Live Oak Cemetery is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with the rest of Selma's Old Town Historic district.
Lorenzo Harrison Memorial Gardens
(aka Elmwood Cemetery)
Established in 1854
Elmwood Cemetery was established in 1854 when the City of Selma purchased a large section of land on the east side of town. At first it was known as East Selma Graveyard. Part of the cemetery property is on the previous site of the Selma Race Course.
In 1865 Selma's Jewish community purchased land adjoining the north side of Elmwood Cemetery for their cemetery. Anne Cooper Street separates the Jewish section on the north end from the main body of the cemetery. Most of the remaining markers are circa 1890.
New Live Oak Cemetery